“Fondazione Livio Sciutto Ricerca Biomedica in Ortopedia Onlus” - hereinafter referred to as the “Foundation” - will award No. 2 "Total Hip Arthroplasty Fellowships" (the “Fellowship Program”) to medical specialists - or under specialized training in orthopedics - who meet the requirements listed below, on the basis of a specific ranking.
In particular, by intervening in the financing granted for this purpose by Zimmer Biomet, the Foundation will have access to the CVs of the candidates in order to verify the satisfaction of the general rules that discipline the compliance aspects, their experience in hip surgery and the total hip replacement sessions already performed.
The duration of the Fellowship Program will be six months for each fellow.
The Scientific Program of the Fellowships will consist of three phases: a) clinical work, b) attendance at surgery activities, and c) scientific work; the area of training will be Total Hip Arthroplasty with a focus on surgery planning and less invasive approaches.
The Foundation shall bear the costs for meals, accommodation and scientific prints of 2 Fellows for the duration of the Fellowship and of the Fellowship Program.
Fellowship recipients in order to enjoy their meals and lodging will have to stay, exclusively, in a structure approved by the Foundation.
The award of the “Total Hip Arthroplasty Fellowship" will be one of the requirements in order to have access to possible future fellowships concerning the revision of hip prosthesis.
They can participate in the selection for the award of the Fellowship, the candidates which meet the following requisites:
- are young (up to 40 years old) specialized orthopedic surgeon;
- are specialization students of the aforementioned specialization, subject to the consent of the Director of the respective Schools;
- have a good level, both written and spoken, of Italian and English;
- previous studies on hip surgery;
- preliminary experience in hip surgery (also as second operator).
Admission and selection of candidates:
The Board of Directors of the Foundation, in its sole discretion, after consulting the Scientific Committee of the Foundation, will choose the candidates which will be awarded the Fellowship by applying the criteria set out in this notice and on the basis of the following:
- the grades/rating of the specialty exams and of the graduation;
- the curriculum vitae;
- the surgical experiences;
- the number of publications and the relevant I.F.;
- other titles that the candidates may deem worth to present.
The Board of Directors of the Foundation will draw up a ranking of all candidates and will replace any dropout with the candidate immediately following in such a ranking.
The notice for the award of the Fellowship is published on the website of the Foundation and is authorized to be spread in all forms permitted.
Venue of Fellowships:
The Fellowships will be held at the Humanitas Hospital (MI) - Italy - www.humanitas.it which has a vast experience and considerable volumes of activity in the treatment of hip and knee implants.
The Fellowship Program will start mandatorily on September 02th, 2019 and will end on March 01th??, 2020.
Program and Focus of the Fellowship Program:
The program can be divided into 5 sessions as follows:
- surgery planning in primary hip replacement with the aid of digital templating;
- implant choice (design and materials) in primary hip replacement;
- surgical approaches in total hip replacement;
- post operative Treatments;
- rehab protocols and fast track recovery.
The objectives for the Fellowship are:
- enhance understanding of pre-operative examinations (RX- RMN - TC Scan) for planning appropriate treatments;
- identify the best treatment options for the patient;
- preoperative planning experience;
- less invasive surgical approach
Candidates will also be required to develop and share (with the help of the technicians that will be made available) their individual computing platform with regards to the activities performed during the Fellowship Program in order to use it as a presentation during the periodic audits and also - for the final verification - they will be required to develop at least one scientific paper to be proposed to impact factor journals.
Savona, June 20, 2019